04 March 2008

Superpowers!

Right then, so it's been a little bit since I posted anything, eh? Bet you lot were thinking Coyote had gone to ground, nothing worth talking about anymore, and you'd finally be rid of him, didn't you?

Sorry, it won't be that easy. :-P

So, one of the things I've been talking about with people semi-lately is the idea of superpowers, and what would yours be if you could choose them? Unlike my previous post, which tested you, this is a time for you to be creative yourself. Think about it... if you could have any two superpowers (that is to say, the ability to do something not normally able to be done by humans), what would they be? It can be something out of comics, something you saw on Heroes, or just something you've always wished you could do.

Why superpowers? Well, other than for just goofing off/shooting the breeze, picking a superhuman ability probably says something about your personality. Say you want to be able to be invisible... clearly you want to be able to hide. Is this because you're afraid of conflict and would rather just turn invisible than face it? I'm not much of a psychologist, or at least not at this hour, but I think you get the idea.

Oh yeah, and that picture to your right? Green Lantern + Optimus Prime is simply... fantastic.

Anyway. So my two superpowers would be flight/flying, which I think is a pretty standard wish-fulfillment power and a desire for freedom, and phasing through solid material, a la Kitty Pryde (X-Men) or D.L. Hawkins (Heroes). This is one I think of a lot working at the Roadhouse... how convenient it would be to just phase through people, or objects, but especially people, when I need to get from one place to another, especially on an extremely busy Saturday night. Of course, I've also been told there's more to it than that... the ability to walk through walls without destroying them would be a very useful metaphor for pastoral care, so long as its not abused and you don't walk into the person's (mental, spiritual) home uninvited and/or cause havoc once you get there.

Ok, that's all for now. Fairly short, to the point. It's really not all about me.

5 comments:

Mr. Miro said...

I think I'd have lasers shoot out of my eyes... and something to stop the CIA from stealing my thoughts.
But I've heard some skepticism about the reality of superpowers...

Jon Goff said...

I get the feeling I might should start reading that webcomic... you're the third person that's referenced it to me.

Laser eyes... what, you want your glares to destroy all who oppose you?

(don't feel like switching back to Coyote for this comment... more trouble than needed)

Julie said...

Well, since you've analyzed a desire for invisibility such that I don't want to publicly admit to it... how about the desire to turn into any sort of animal I want, but without losing forms of human perception I might need. So, if I wanted to watch people unobtrusively, I could turn into a spider, but still be able to think like a person while I'm watching.
Or I could turn into an elephant in class, just for kicks.
I'm still thinking about my second choice.

Julie said...

Ok, so in lieu of creativity I went to Wikipedia. Off the list, I like light manipulation, omni-linguism, animation, and molecular manipulation.

LyingInSilence said...

I would want to be able to read ppl's minds whenever i wanted. That ones a given and always has been. Now a second one i dunno...Prolly moving objects too. That would be nifty =Þ Telekinesis and Telepathy. Pretty convenient =)